A DEEPER UNDERSTANDING OF TRE & NGY
The ‘un’-evolved nervous system. The following describes what happens in EVERY human body in the face of stress and/or trauma. Although many of our stressors are NOT life-threatening, our nervous system still has a series of -literally- caveman responses. All stressors are detected as life-threatening, and the nervous system is hardwired to respond as such.
THE CYCLE OF STRESS, TENSION & TRAUMA
1. The Body or ‘the clench’
2. The Emotions or ‘the feelings’
3. The Thoughts or ‘the story’.
THE CLENCH – THE BODY
· When an individual experiences a stressful, traumatic or even mildly displeasing event, THE BODY responds with THE CLENCH, a series of muscles that engage.
THE FEELINGS – THE EMOTIONS
· The physical clench in the body notifies the brain stem that there is a problem. The brain stems discernment is limited to 2 options, OPTION A: I am safe and going to live. OPTION B: I am NOT safe and could die.
· ‘The clench’ is the bodies quick, life-saving response to OPTION B. When this occurs, the brainstem informs midbrain that ‘we have a potentially life-threatening problem.’
· Midbrain then signals the release of STRESS HOROMONES (cortisol & adrenaline) as well as other life-saving alterations to our biorhythms.
THE STORY – THE THOUGHTS
· AFTER ‘the clench’ and release of stress hormones, the brains cortex attempts ot make sense of what happened and begins to script thoughts and a supporting story to the events that took place.
GETTING STUCK IN ‘THE CLENCH’
· The clench is intended to be a temporary physical response, but many of our bodies get stuck in the clench. This creates a chronic state of stress, tension and trauma in the body.
· The chronic clench keeps the human body on the hamster-wheel of the stress cycle.
· Body Clenches – Overtime leads to chronic pain
· Stress hormones – Body is constantly being inundated with stress hormones resulting in our actions being reactive vs responsive, disrupted sleep cycles, weight gain and beyond.
· The thoughts – Our thoughts surrounding the event become ruminating and ever-present. We begin to orient our life and all choices around ‘the story’ we have scripted and empowered overtime about the event.
HACKING THE NERVOUS SYSTEM
· The cycle of stress, tension and trauma is PERFECTION if used in the moment to support a stressful or traumatic situation and is DEBILITAING if it is allowed to cycle endlessly.
· Neurogenic Tremors are our bodies built-in system to process stress and trauma. Just like our digestive system digests food, neurogenic tremors digest stress.
· Neurogenic Tremors interrupt the stress cycle and safely guide the nervous system into regulation or homeostasis.
DURING A SESSION
· We prepare the body to practice neurogenic tremors. This includes yoga & mindfulness techniques to down-regulate the nervous system and movements or yoga postures to fatigue specific muscles.
· In each session we practice neurogenic tremors for 5-15 minutes.
OVERTIME: STOPPING THE CYCLE & BUILDING RESILIENCE
· The body learns how to release ‘the clench’ thus removing one from the stress cycle.
· The nervous system strengthens its ability to be regulated so that when a stressful or traumatic event occurs, we can return to homeostasis easily and efficiently.
WHO BENEFITS FROM NEUROGENIC TREMORS?
· Everyone. Literally, everyone.
· Stress is a necessary and guaranteed component to life. Learning how to utilize your bodies built-in system for processing stress is a birth right.
· Release of chronic tension and increase of energy and stamina
· Discharge buried emotional and physical trauma
· Freedom from symptoms of sciatica and fibromyalgia
· Decrease in aches and pains
· Improved sleep
· Improved circulation
· Improved mood
· Improved flexibility and/or mobility
· Improved sense of being grounded and focused